...

...

Monday, May 9, 2016

A few thoughts at (quite literally) the end of module two

I enjoyed reading Helen's post from the last skype meeting of the term.  The idea of being suspended in the unknown as we are learning resonated for me.  

Here is a little excerpt from my reflective essay describing my a bit my experience in module two, specifically, how I strategized to deal the the 'suspension'.  Also, a picture of a 'mind map' that has been occupying some space on a wall in my apartment for some time now.  (Another very helpful tool throughout this process.  All you need is a little painter's tape and paper to make it happen!)

The experience of undertaking module two was one of density.  Whereas in module one I felt as though my work was to resource information from within and put it in tangible form through writing, module two was comprised of the work of externally sourcing information, engaging in tasks to integrate and understand information, and finally organizing it through a written project plan. 
As a process, it involved the simultaneous accumulation, organization, and integration of information.  This was challenging, particularly as much of the knowledge I was encountering was new to me.  My initial strategy was to retain as much knowledge as possible, coupled with a self-imposed expectation of having to immediately understand it.  This was unsustainable, and my research process felt stagnant as a result. 

To set my research in motion, I created a giant (giant!) mind map on one of the walls in my apartment.  What was functional about my mind map approach was that it allowed me write down topics and then add to them, (as opposed to remembering / retaining them and adding to them, all within the space of my mind).  I had created, literally, a picture: something I could see, reflect on, and add to at any time.  It is true that what I learn will resonate at different times in my process, and the mind map supported that reality.  The other task I undertook to keep my learning moving was to start to write.  To write, and write, and write.  Slowly through my writing I was able to make groups of themes that resonated with me.  I then created separate documents for the themes, eventually joining them in one big document, which became my first draft.  These were invaluable tools for my process of learning and integrating the many topics covered in the module. 


No comments:

Post a Comment