...

...

Monday, October 10, 2016

Assumptions: thoughts from the October 2nd skype chat

Glad to have - after a year - finally participated in an afternoon skype session.  I had previously been on lunch hour sessions, which, for me in Eastern Canada, meant attempting coherent conversation contributions at 6am.
...

Reflecting on the topics that emerged during the discussion, in particular with respect to our assumptions and the impact that they have on our research (and perhaps, our perspective in general), I am reminded of the importance of allowing for things to not go as planned.  If research, and this learning we undertake through the process of MAPP, is really that, it seems pertinent to take note (for myself) that research isn't a series of selections to arrive at a desired result, but a series of (un)educated guesses that really bring us to the next question.  Thinking back to Kolb's learning theory (1974),  the 'test' phase includes a margin for error, and for results we don't anticipate.  It becomes a great platform for re-approaching, beginning again with a refined or new question, to continue our cycle of learning.  Nothing detrimental: just more bridges for more learning.

For my inquiry I am looking at how instructors are dealing with motivating learning: how, to what ends, etc.  As n inquiry, it edges on supposing that 'a way' of teaching (expressing, connecting, sharing) has an impact on how content is received, and is therefore something of value, worth considering.

Today I spoke with a subject who has agreed to participate in my research and she mentioned her excitement at the thought of my thesis: she expressed giving value to the importance of how information gets transmitted by an instructor.  This is great, there is, however, a part of me that is equally curious about how an instructor, with far less attention to transmission, delivers a class.  How does it work?  (How instructors teach is just one part of it..... as Sam K. mentioned, students bring whole histories with them into the studio that are impacting possible connections with class content.)

At the heart of my inquiry: how do I teach?  How do I work?  So, even though I have directed this question outward by means of my inquiry, I believe, in the end, the question is really for myself.  I wonder if, as I pursue my inquiry, if more of myself will be revealed, as I will approach and clarify my own answers to these questions, as they pertain to me and my teaching.

These days I am fascinated by presenting learning situations for participants where:

  • I optimize my observation time of participant work and engagement with material
  • Participants capitalize on what they already know, and are able to integrate this into our practice together
  • Participants flex their intelligence, and creativity
  • I flex my intuition, and remain open to taking us in a variety of directions, depending on what we are presented with 'in the moment'
  • No matter what the outcome, we value our experience and learning together
  • The skills we access in class are transferable, as our work is varied (many of us in the dance milieu wear many hats)

So, for now, I've let go of having a perfect set of parameters, questions, and participants / subjects for my inquiry.  Maybe my research will be unsuccessful or inconclusive.  But even that seems like good learning, as it has the potential to point me in a direction for where to go next.  And that seems very appealing to me as a result.


No comments:

Post a Comment