...

...

Monday, November 14, 2016

Variations on a theme

I am thinking about binary opposition.  Loosely, the categorization of things into this, or that, distinguished in direct relationship to one another.

As my inquiry looks at different instructors' approaches to teaching contemporary dance, and that, I too, am searching to define my own distinct approach, I sometimes have the feeling that I am searching for a formula.  A formula for how to inspire, nurture, develop, engage and motivate the participant to realize their physical and creative potential.  I am approaching my inquiry with the assumption - a bit - that there is a better way to carry out this task of teaching.  My thinking in very binary in this respect.

In my notes from the 5pm MAPP November skype chat, I have written down the following:

"Place and Order:

- what do [specific placement and/or order of material, information] have to do with how we learn?
- what does learning look like without them?"

We discussed the idea of a 'web of ideas', of non-linearity, of research and reflections overlapping and being connected for diverse reasons, due to many variables.  The image is a strong one:  a web.  

What if I considered my approach to teaching as more of web and less as a formula?  Where themes dilated to the fore and then contracted or faded out.  If multiple layers existed at once, with different densities of importance depending on the present moment? 

Right now, both when I contemplate my teaching, as I plan my classes, and as I carry them out, I think about whether I should be planning, if there is a way that I can become a great practitioner of intuition, of responding 'to the moment' in class.  Is there a way to do this?  As I read over my data collected as part of my research inquiry, I look for an indication of such a practice in the work of teachers that I am observing.

How are these instructors making available 'the moment', remaining attuned to the present?  (Is this a useful value where dance instruction is concerned?)  Across my data there is, in each instance, some trait of how the room or class is set up.  This I believe links directly to a tone that sets both the student and teacher on a specific path of experience during class.  This makes me come back to the idea of a formula, which is, in some sense, at work here.  The consistent appearance of a certain set of rituals (loaded word, I know) at the outset really does have the potential to impact our journey through class.

So then, what about the web?  Is it more embodied over time?  Over a series of classes (as an example)?  

......






No comments:

Post a Comment