...

...

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Lineages: everyone I interview has a story to tell about who's work informs their class

I am deep into data collection for Module Three.  My notebooks are getting full, and my pen in hand struggles to keep up with the steady flow of information that (almost) surrounds me!  (Okay okay, enough with the lyric emphasis in the writing....)

For my inquiry I set out to study five different practitioners, for the purpose of accessing how they are considering student motivation to learn through their class form and content.  I strategized for each: to participate in one class, to observe one class, and to conduct a person to person interview of about an hour.

Of the practitioners I've connected with thus far, here are some book and people references that have arisen:

Anatomy Trains by Thomas Myers
This practitioner is using anatomy as a point of departure for teaching movement.

Sensitive Chaos by Theodor Schwenk
This practitioner is using water, and the idea that our bodies are comprised of water, and that 'we are' movement (as opposed to 'we do' movement)

Romance of the three kingdoms attributed to Luo Guanzhong
History, legend and mythology merge to tell the story of the emergence of the three states which replaced the Han dynasty.  One of the characters, Guan Yu (Kwan Kung), was a general who played a key role is the dynasty's collapse.  His figure and painted portrait sit on the alter in the studio where this practice takes place.

Another interesting tidbit that arose from this interview, which was with a Tai Chi instructor, was that there is a name for the 'teacher of one's teacher', which is: Sifu Kung.  Naming, or finding language to describe (in this instance one's relationship to someone), I believe is a gesture which points to something [we] value.  So here, I understand, in the Tai Chi tradition, we value lineage.







1 comment:

  1. I think all these methods are wonderful and have witnessed their general themes used in someway first hand.

    ANATOMY
    When dealing with injuries as a teenager the physiotherapist at the my school would always use anatomy to educate us. The aim was so we would use better technique when executing movements and we could understand why our bodies where hurting and know how to prevent further injuries. I specifically remember being told importance of not overturning out as overturning out displaces the alignment of the whole leg especially causing knee and ankle injuries.

    WATER
    I've used the flowing, rippling affects of water as imagery to help soften port de bra especially in ballet.

    LINAGE
    I knew of a teacher who would call her students 'my little chickens' so the students would always work extra hard in that class as they didn't want to let mother hen down.

    ReplyDelete