...

...

Monday, October 10, 2016

As I begin Module Three

Below are my responses to feedback from Module Two.  I thought answering them directly in the form of a blog would help me generate answers.  Here, I am attempting to make more clear the what / how / why / etc. of my teaching.  Please feel free to comment and / or ask questions!

....

It is not as clear how the inquiry links to your current professional practice. You do not mention 

how:

I teach mostly by making connections with dance organizations and institutions (professional, pre-professional) in Montreal where I live, as well as in Canada.  Teaching contracts acquired from these connections last one to four weeks, and are not automatically renewed the following year.  Generally speaking, the market is competitive for longer duration and renewable teaching contracts.  

or what: 
These days I am very focused on building participant awareness and ability using principles of sustainable movement in my classes.  I believe the principles of sustainable movement are: coordination, power, mobility, adaptability, listening, collaboration, and intelligence.  This belief is informed by the training that I have done with Peter Boneham (Canada), and Linda Kapetanea and Jozef Frucek (Greece / Slovakia).  My assumption as a teacher is that this principle-focused class work can be applied to any movement arena, whether aesthetic, performance, or competitive.  In my contemporary technique class individuals learn about and integrate principles simultaneously, while learning about themselves (how they work, strengths, weaknesses, etc.)  The fact that the learning I facilitate has many applications answers my question of what is relevant and pertinent content for a contemporary dance or movement class for professionals and pre-professionals.

or where: 
At professional drop-in classes organized by a host organization, at pre-professional institutions, or independently organized drop-in style classes organized by me.

or why you teach: 
Why certain approaches to dance and movement resonate more or less for participants is something I find fascinating.  I have a big curiosity for why individuals find one form of training more relevant than the other, more pertinent than the other.  

There is little explanation for how all the movement practices you are going to look at fit into your own teaching practice. 
This I cannot entirely answer at this time.  Some of the practices I am studying via my MAPP inquiry I personally have experience with, as a teacher and as a participant.  Some of the movement practices I have no experience with.  At the core of it all is my curiosity for how and what other teachers are teaching in contemporary dance.  The possibilities really are so varied.  I hope to use the inquiry to broaden my knowledge of approaches, to deepen those that I know, and to examine and refine my own approach to teaching in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment